In just a few days, I will be heading down to Orlando, FL for GeekyCon, a big old fan convention that I can’t wait to be a part of! I am super excited about this for several reasons:
1) My husband and son will be coming with me, and we get to have a long-awaited family vacation.
2) My good friend Megan Morrison, author of Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel, will be one of the featured literature track presenters.
3) My good friend, geographer/photographer Kristin Brown will be presenting about creating plausible geographies in fantasy worlds. (Check out the fantastic interview Megan and Kristin did about their collaboration on creating the geography of Tyme.)
4) It’s GeekyCon! Where you can walk around in full-on fandom mode, and no one bats an eye.
5) Private, after-hours event at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Yes, please!
6) Oh, yeah, and Megan and I will be co-presenting a session wherein we discuss how we got from there (writing two wildly different Hermione-centric Harry Potter fanfiction stories, which is how we met) to here (publishing our novel debuts within a year of each other). Details:
TAKING OFF THE TRAINING WHEELS
Neil Gaiman says fanfic can act as a training ground for writing original fiction. Is he right? Join Meg and Kathy as they discuss what it’s like to leap from writing Harry Potter stories to creating entire worlds of your own.
Here’s to an awesome week of geeking out!